Tour Guide Training Program
Free 6-week program for qualified candidates
- Are you a natural storyteller who enjoys sharing information about your neighborhood and Harlem?
- Do you have a natural curiosity about your neighborhood and why things are the way they are?
- Are you interested in history and constantly looking for ways to improve your knowledge of Harlem and New York City?
- Are you an avid reader?
- Are you bilingual?
- Are you energetic, enthusiastic, outgoing and able to connect easily with others?
- Do you possess strong communication skills and remain calm in situations that might be stressful?
- Are you a Community Board 9 or West Harlem resident?
If you answered “YES” to all or most of the above, you may be a candidate for this program!
Harlem One Stop, in partnership with West Harlem DC, is pleased to be offering this six (6) week intensive b>Tour Guide Training Course focused on producing an expanded core of Harlem-based and NYC-licensed tour guides.
Harlem has increasingly become a desired “must see” for tourists visiting New York City and the region, yet our community is lacking in truly knowledgeable tour guides who can reflect Harlem’s cultural history and unique role in the city’s history. Through this intensive training program, our goal is to address the need and expand training opportunities for members of the community.
The six-week course is composed of two (2), three-hour sessions per week to provide candidates with knowledge of tour guide etiquette, Harlem- and NYC-based histories, and the tools for crafting neighborhood tours that reflect on the community’s historic figures, culture, and architecture—with the added goal of taking and passing NYC Tour Guide Licensing Examination*.
*A Scholarship toward the cost of the Tour Guide Examination and License is offered to candidates who complete training successfully.
- Must have a passion for New York City and Harlem history, cultural life, the Arts, and architecture, as well as the desire to share information
- Superior verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must have graduated high school or GED Equivalent and must have a graduate degree (or must be currently enrolled and working towards one)
- Ability to work weekdays, weekends, or holidays
- Strong time management skills
- Mst be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and well-organized
- Must be able to speak a foreign language (Spanish, French, Italian) in addition to English
- Must successfully complete the Tour Guide Training Program
- Must be licensed
Participant must complete six weeks of training (36 hours) and four weeks paid internship, which includes a minimum of four (4), 2-hour tours.
- Lead groups of up to 25 people on walking tours throughout Harlem, sharing the history of neighborhoods while engaging visitors, using storytelling and various questioning techniques
- Efficient check-in of registered participants
- Work with executive director to prepare all materials and tools needed to conduct an efficient and successful tour experience
- Strong time management skills in delivering complete tour information in allotted time schedule
- Maintaining excellent group control when navigating sidewalks, streets, and crossings
- Excellent closing techniques at end of tour, making sure participants are directed to their next destination or mode of transportation.
For more information, please email your letter of interest and resume by to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program is supported by West Harlem Development Corporation
In This Section
Press & Tour Contact
Harlem One Stop Inc.
502 W 142nd Street
New York, NY 10031